Summer Activities for Teenagers
Summer is the perfect time for teenagers to take a break from their studies and enjoy some fun activities. With the weather warming up and the days getting longer, there are plenty of options for outdoor adventures, creative pursuits, and sports and fitness. Here is a list of activities that are mentally and physically stimulating to do over the summer months:
- Hiking: A great way to get outside and explore nature. Whether it’s a short walk or a challenging trek, there are plenty of hiking trails to choose from. According to a study by the Outdoor Industry Association, hiking is the fourth most popular outdoor activity in the United States, with over 38 million participants in 2019 (source). Grab some friends and hit the trails for a day of adventure. Don’t forget to bring plenty of water, snacks, and sunscreen!
- Camping: A classic outdoor adventure that never gets old. Spending a weekend in the wilderness, roasting marshmallows around the campfire, and sleeping under the stars is an experience that every teenager should have. According to the same study by the Outdoor Industry Association, camping is the fifth most popular outdoor activity in the United States, with over 30 million participants in 2019 (source). Whether you’re camping in a tent or an RV, make sure to bring plenty of warm clothes, a good sleeping bag, and a sense of adventure.
- Water Sports: Summer is the perfect time to try your hand at water sports. Whether it’s kayaking, paddleboarding, or swimming, there are plenty of options to choose from. According to a survey by the Sports & Fitness Industry Association, swimming is the most popular water sport in the United States, with over 27 million participants in 2019 (source). However, kayaking and paddleboarding are becoming increasingly popular among teenagers as well. Make sure to wear a life jacket and follow all safety guidelines when participating in water sports.
- Nature Walks: If you’re looking for a more low-key outdoor adventure, consider taking a nature walk. Explore nearby parks and nature reserves to see what kind of wildlife and plants you can spot. According to a study by the National Recreation and Park Association, walking is the most popular outdoor activity for all age groups in the United States, with over 141 million participants in 2019 (source). Not only is walking a great way to get some exercise, but it’s also a great way to clear your mind and enjoy the beauty of nature.
Summer is a great time to give back to your community. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities available, from working at a local food bank to helping out at a summer camp. Not only will you be doing good for others, but you’ll also gain valuable skills and experience that will look great on your college
- Music: A universal language that can bring people together and evoke emotions. Learning to play an instrument, joining a band, or attending a music festival are all great ways for teenagers to explore their musical side. Learning to play an instrument can be challenging but also rewarding. It can help improve coordination, concentration, and memory. Joining a band can help teenagers develop teamwork and communication skills, as well as provide opportunities to perform and connect with other musicians. Attending a music festival can be a great way to experience different genres of music and connect with other music lovers. Some popular music festivals for teenagers include Lollapalooza, Coachella, and Bonnaroo.
- Art: A form of self-expression that can take many forms, including painting, drawing, sculpture, and photography. Taking a painting or drawing class, visiting a museum, or starting your own art project are all great ways for teenagers to explore their artistic side. Taking a class can help teenagers learn new techniques and develop their skills. Visiting a museum can provide inspiration and exposure to different styles of art. Starting your own art project can be a great way to express yourself and explore your creativity. Some popular art projects for teenagers include creating a vision board, making a collage, or designing your own t-shirt.
- Writing: A powerful tool for self-expression and communication. Starting a blog, writing a short story, or attending a writing workshop are all great ways for teenagers to explore their writing skills. Starting a blog can be a great way to share your thoughts and ideas with others and develop your writing skills. Writing a short story can help teenagers develop their storytelling skills and imagination. Attending a writing workshop can provide opportunities to learn from experienced writers and receive feedback on your work. Some popular writing workshops for teenagers include those offered by the nonprofit organization 826 National and the Young Writers Program.
- Beaches: A classic summer vacation destination for teenagers. Spending a week soaking up the sun, swimming in the ocean, and building sandcastles is a great way to relax and have fun. Many beaches also offer activities like beach volleyball, surfing, and paddleboarding. According to a survey by the American Automobile Association (AAA), the top beach destinations for families in 2021 include Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and Panama City Beach, Florida (source). If you’re looking for a more secluded beach experience, consider visiting a state park or nature reserve.
- Theme Parks: If you’re looking for an adrenaline-packed vacation, consider visiting a theme park. Roller coasters, thrill rides, and water rides are sure to get your heart racing. Many theme parks also offer live shows, games, and other attractions. According to a survey by the Themed Entertainment Association (TEA), the top theme parks in the world in 2019 included Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom in Florida (source). Make sure to plan ahead and buy tickets in advance to avoid long lines
- Water parks: Are another great option for teenagers looking for a fun and refreshing vacation. Splash around with friends on water slides, lazy rivers, and wave pools. Many water parks also offer food, games, and other attractions. According to a survey by the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA), the top water parks in the world in 2019 included Typhoon Lagoon at Walt Disney World in Florida, Chimelong Water Park in China, and Siam Park in Spain (source). Don’t forget to wear sunscreen and stay hydrated!
- Cities: If you’re looking for a more cultural vacation, consider visiting a city. Explore museums, restaurants, and shops you’ve never been to before. Many cities also offer tours, festivals, and other events. According to a survey by the travel website TripAdvisor, the top cities to visit in the United States in 2021 include New York City, New York, Maui, Hawaii, and Las Vegas, Nevada (source). If you’re interested in international travel, consider visiting cities like London, Paris, or Tokyo.
Escape rooms have become increasingly popular in recent years and for good reason. They’re a fun and challenging way to spend time with friends and family. Teenagers love escape rooms because they’re a great way to test their problem-solving skills and work together to solve puzzles and escape the room. Here are some of the best escape rooms with unique themes for teenagers:
- Zombie Apocalypse Escape Room: With a post-apocalyptic setting and zombies lurking around, this escape room is sure to get your heart racing as you try to find the cure.
- Clown Escape Room: With puzzles that require you to think outside the box and a spine- tingling atmosphere, this escape room is not for the faint of heart.
- Pharaoh’s Tomb Escape Room: This escape room is perfect for teenagers who love history and adventure. With hieroglyphics to decipher and ancient artifacts to use, this escape room is sure to keep you on your toes.
Summer is a time for fun, relaxation, and exploration. Whether you’re into outdoor adventures, creative pursuits, or sports and fitness, there are plenty of summer activities to keep you busy. And if you’re looking for a fun and challenging activity to do with friends and family, be sure to check out an escape room near you. With themes like zombie apocalypse, clown, and pharaoh, there’s an escape room for every interest. So grab some friends, try something new, and make this summer one to remember.
SCHEDULE YOUR ESCAPE ROOM TODAY!